|For a variety of new articles, all recently published in The Lancet, please see:
Other recent publications (in alphabetical order):
- Andaleeb, Syed S. (2013) Measuring Health Service Quality in Bangladesh: A Structural Model. Paper presented
at the BDI/CSAS Conference on Bridging the Policy-Action Divide: Challenges and Prospects for Bangladesh, at
the UC Berkeley, CA (February 22-24).
- Ahmed Hanifi, Manzoor; Abdullah Al Mamun; Ashish Paul; Sharif Al Hasan; Shahidul Hoque; Sifat Sharmin;
Farhana Urni; Imran Reza Khan; Shehrin Shaila Mahmood; Sabrina Rasheed; Mohammad Iqbal; Ariful Moula;
Mijanur Rahman; and Abbas Bhuiya (2012) Profile: The Chakaria Health and Demographic Surveillance System.
International Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 41, No. 3 (21 June), pp. 667-675.
- Ahsan, Syed M.; Syed Abdul Hamid; and Shubhasish Barua (2012) Utilisation of Formal Health Care and Out-of-
Pocket Payments in Rural Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh: Institute of Microfinance (InM), Working Paper No. 13
- Akanda, Md. Abdus Salam (2012) Demand for Health Care and Health Care Expenditure: A Household Study in
Bangladesh. Tsukuba, Japan: University of Tsukuba, M.A. Thesis, Graduate School of Humanities and Social
Sciences, Doctoral Program in International Political Economy.
- Alam, Khurshid and Elizabeth Oliveras (2012) Retention of female volunteer community health workers in Dhaka
urban slums: a case-control study. Health Policy and Planning, Vol. 27, No. 6 (10 September), pp. 477-486.
- Alam, Khurshid; Sakiba Tasneem; Elizabeth Oliveras (2012) Performance of female volunteer community health
workers in Dhaka urban slums. Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 75, No. 3 (August), pp. 511-515.
- Ali, E.; Zachariah, R.; Hinderaker S., G.; Satyanarayana, S.; Kizito, W.; Alders, P.; Shams, Z.; Allaouna, M.;
Draguez, B.; Delchevalerie, P.; Enarson D., A. (2012) Does the 65 cm height cut-off as age proxy exclude
children eligible for nutritional assessment in Bangladesh?. Public Health Action, Vol. 2, No. 4 (21 December), pp.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) (2012) Second Urban Primary Health Care Project (Bangladesh). Manila, The
Philippines: Asian Development Bank (ADB), Completion Report, Project No. 43573-012 (September).
- Azziz-Baumgartner, E.; Alamgir, A. S. M.; Rahman, M.; Homaira, N.; Sohel, B. M.; Yushuf Sharker, M. A.; Uz
Zaman, R.; Dee, J.; Gurley, E. S.; Al Mamun, A.; Mah-E-Muneer, S.; Fry, A. M.; Widdowson, M. -A.; et al. (2012)
Incidence of influenza-like illness and severe acute respiratory infection during three influenza seasons in
Bangladesh, 2008-2010. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, Vol. 90, No. 1, pp. 12-19.
- Azziz-Baumgartner, E.; Rahman, M.; Mamun, A. A.; Haider, M. S.; Zaman, R. U.; Karmakar, P. C.; Nasreen, S.;
Mah-E-Muneer, S.; Homaira, N.; Goswami, D. R.; Ahmed, B. -N.; Husain, M. M.; Jamil, K. M.; Khatun, S.; et al.
(2012) Early detection of pandemic (H1N1) 2009, Bangladesh. Emerging Infectious Diseases, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp.
- Barham, Tania (2012) Enhancing Cognitive Functioning: Medium-Term Effects of a Health and Family Planning
Program in Matlab. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, Vol. 4, No. 1, January), pp. 245-273.
- Canning, David and T. Paul Schultz (2012) The economic consequences of reproductive health and family
planning. Lancet (The), Vol. 380, No. 9837, 14–20 July), pp. 165-171.
- Cherry, N.; C. Mcdonald; and Z. Chowdhury (2012) Zinc in well water and infant mortality in Bangladesh: A report
from gonoshasthaya kendra. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Vol. 9, No. 1,
- Chisti, Mohammod J.; Trevor Duke; Colin F. Robertson; Tahmeed Ahmed; Abu S. G. Faruque; Hasan Ashraf;
Sophie La Vincente; Pradip K. Bardhan; and Mohammed A. Salam (2012) Clinical predictors and outcome of
hypoxaemia among under-five diarrhoeal children with or without pneumonia in an urban hospital, Dhaka,
Bangladesh. Tropical Medicine and International Health, Vol. 17, No. 1 (January), pp. 106–111.
- Dhillon, Preet K.; Jeemon, Panniyammakal; Arora, Narendra K.; Mathur, Prashant; Maskey, Mahesh; Djuwita
Sukirna, Ratna; and Dorairaj Prabhakaran (2012) Status of epidemiology in the WHO South-East Asia region:
burden of disease, determinants of health and epidemiological research, workforce and training capacity.
International Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 41, No. 3 (21 June), pp. 847-860.
- El-Saharty, Sameh (2012) Health Sector Development Program: P118708. Washington, DC, USA: World Bank,
Implementation Status and Results Report, Report No. ISR6252 (MAY 21) .
- Fort, Alfredo (2012) Coverage of Post-Partum and Post-Natal Care in Egypt in 2005-2008 and Bangladesh in
2004-2007: Levels, Trends and Unmet Need. Reproductive Health Matters, Vol. 20, No. 39 (May), pp. 81-92.
- Gayen, T. K.; Gayen, K.; Raeside, R.; Elliott, L. (2012) Cohesive subgroups and drug user networks in Dhaka
City, Bangladesh. Global Public Health, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 219-239.
- Gumusboga, A.; Aung K. J., M.; Rigouts, L.; Van Deun, A. (2012) Transmission of multidrug-resistant and
extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis in rural Bangladesh: lessons learnt. Public Health Action, Vol. 2, No. 3 (21
September), pp. 76-78.
- Haque, S. E.; Rahman, M.; Mostofa, Md. G.; Zahan, Md. S. (2012) Reproductive Health Care Utilization Among
Young Mothers in Bangladesh: Does Autonomy Matter?. Women's Health Issues, Vol. 22, No. 2 (March), pp.
- Hasan, Jahidul (2012) Effective telemedicine project in Bangladesh: Special focus on diabetes health care
delivery in a tertiary care in Bangladesh. Telematics and Informatics, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 211-218.
- Hasan, Md. Kamrul (2012) Quality of Primary Health Care Services In Rural Bangladesh: Patients’ Perspectives.
OIDA International Journal of Sustainable Development, Vol. 3, No. 8, pp. 69-78.
- Islam, A. and P. Maitra (2012) Health shocks and consumption smoothing in rural households: Does microcredit
have a role to play?. Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 97, No. 2 (March), pp. 232-243.
- Jehan, Kate; Kristi Sidney; Helen Smith; and Ayesha de Costa (2012) Improving access to maternity services: an
overview of cash transfer and voucher schemes in South Asia. Reproductive Health Matters, Vol. 20, No. 39
(June), pp. 142-154.
- Joshi, Shareen and T. Paul Schultz (2012) Family Planning and Women's and Children's Health: Long Term
Consequences of an Outreach Program in Matlab, Bangladesh. Bonn, Germany: Institute for the Study of Labor
(IZA), IZA Discussion Paper No. 6551.
- Kabir, I.; Khanam, M.; Agho, K. E.; Mihrshahi, S.; Dibley, M. J.; Roy, S. K. (2012) Determinants of inappropriate
complementary feeding practices in infant and young children in Bangladesh: Secondary data analysis of
Demographic Health Survey 2007. Maternal and Child Nutrition, Vol. 8 SUPPL. 1, pp. 11-27.
- Kabir, M. A.; Huq, M. N.; Al-Amm, A. Q.; Alam, G. M. (2012) Community participation on health and family
planning programs in Bangladesh: The role of education and knowledge on HFP for plummeting pharmaceutical
costing. International Journal of Pharmacology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 10-20.
- Khan, M. M. H.; Oliver Grübner; and Alexander Krämer (2012) Frequently used healthcare services in urban
slums of Dhaka and adjacent rural areas and their determinants. Journal of Public Health, Vol. 34, No. 2 (June),
- Khatun, Fahmida and Mazbahul Golam Ahamad (2012) Liberalising Health Services in South Asia: Implications
for Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh: Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), CPD Working Paper No. 96 (March).
Available at: http://cpd.org.bd/pub_attach/WP96.pdf
- Labrique, Alain B.; Shreya Pereira; Parul Chriatian; Nirmala Murthy; Linda Bartlett; and Garrett Mehl (2012)
Pregnancy Registration Systems Can Enhance Health Systems, Increase Accountability and Reduce Mortality.
Reproductive Health Matters, Vol. 20, No. 39 (May).
- Milojevic, A.; Armstrong, B.; Hashizume, M.; McAllister, K.; Faruque, A.; Yunus, M.; Kim Streatfield, P.; Moji, K.;
Wilkinson, P. (2012) Health effects of flooding in rural Bangladesh. Epidemiology, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 107-
- Minamoto, K.; C. G. N. Mascie-Taylor; E. Karim; K. Moji; M. Rahman (2012) Short- and long-term impact of health
education in improving water supply, sanitation and knowledge about intestinal helminths in rural Bangladesh.
Public Health, Vol. 126, No. 5 (May), pp. 437-440.
- Mostafa Kamal, S. M. (2012) Childbearing and the use of contraceptive methods among married adolescents in
Bangladesh. European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care (The), Vol. 17, No. 2, April), pp.
- Nair, H.; G. Arya; J. Vidnapathirana; S. Tripathi; S. H. Talukder; V. Srivastava (2012) Improving neonatal health in
South-East Asia. Public Health, Vol. 126, No. 3 (March), pp. 223-226.
- Nguyen, Ha T. H.; Laurel Hatt; Mursaleena Islam; Nancy L. Sloan; Jamil Chowdhury; Jean-Olivier Schmidt; Atia
Hossain; Hong Wang (2012) Encouraging maternal health service utilization: An evaluation of the Bangladesh
voucher program. Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 74, No. 7 (April), pp. 989-996.
- Nurunnabi, Mohammad, and Syed Kamrul Islam (2012) Accountability in the Bangladeshi privatized healthcare
sector. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, Vol. 25, No. 7, pp. 625-644.
- Pelletier, D. L.; Frongillo, E. A.; Gervais, S.; Hoey, L.; Menon, P.; Ngo, T.; Stoltzfus, R. J.; Ahmed, A. M. S.;
Ahmed, T. (2012) Nutrition agenda setting, policy formulation and implementation: Lessons from the
Mainstreaming Nutrition Initiative. Health Policy and Planning, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 19-31.
- Peters, David H.; Ligia Paina; and Sara Bennett (2012) Expecting the unexpected: applying the Develop-Distort
Dilemma to maximize positive market impacts in health. Health Policy and Planning, Vol. 27, Supplement 4 (25
October), pp. iv44-iv53.
- Powell-Jackson, Timothy and Mohammad Enamul Hoque (2012) Economic consequences of maternal illness in
rural Bangladesh. Health Economics, Vol. 21, No. 7 (July), pp. 796-810.
- Rahman, Mosfequr (2012) Women's Autonomy and Unintended Pregnancy Among Currently Pregnant Women in
Bangladesh. Maternal and Child Health Journal, Vol. 16, No 6, pp. 1206-1214.
- Shahera, Banu; Wenbiao, Hu; Cameron, Hurst; Yuming, Guo; Mohammad Zahirul, Islam; Shilu, Tong (2012)
Space-time clusters of dengue fever in Bangladesh. Tropical Medicine & International Health, Vol. 17, No. 9 (1
September), pp. 1086-1091.
- Shams, Z.; Zachariah, R.; Enarson D., A.; Satyanarayana, S.; Van den Bergh, R.; Ali, E.; Alders, P.; Manzi, M.;
Allaouna, M.; Draguez, B.; Delchevalerie, P.; Vernaeve, L.; Harries A., D. (2012) Severe malnutrition in children
presenting to health facilities in an urban slum in Bangladesh. Public Health Action, Vol. 2, No. 4 (21 December),
- Story, William T. and Sarah A. Burgard (2012) Couples’ reports of household decision-making and the utilization
of maternal health services in Bangladesh. Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 75, No. 12 (December), pp. 2403-
- Walton, Lori Marie (2012) Gender Equity Theory and Maternal Mortality and Morbidity in Bangladesh. Health
Care for Women International, pp. 1-15.
- World Bank (2012) Bangladesh - Health, Nutrition, and Population Sector Program Project. Washington, DC,
USA: World Bank, Implementation Completion and Results Report, Report No. ICR317 (June 27).
- World Bank (2012) Government and Development Partners Join to Improve Health Care in Bangladesh.
Washington, DC, USA: World Bank, Press Release (September 12); available at: http://www.worldbank.