2) List of recent developmental publications related to women in Bangladesh
- Ahmed, Fauzia (2013) Low-income Hindu Women in Bangladesh | Paper presented at the BDI/CSAS
Conference on Bridging the Policy-Action Divide: Challenges and Prospects for Bangladesh, at the UC
Berkeley, CA (February 22-24).
- Ahmed, Ferdoushi; Chamhuri Siwar; and Nor Aini Hj. Idris (2011) The status of women: Some data in
Bangladesh | Journal of Applied Sciences Research, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 805-809.
- Ahmed, Ferdoushi; Chamhuri Siwar; and Nor Aini Hj. Idris (2011) Women's participation in microcredit
programme: Some evidence in Bangladesh | Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Vol. 5,
No. 7, pp. 106-115.
- Aminuzzaman, Salahuddin M.; Pratima Paul-Majumder; Kaniz N. Siddiqui; and Arifur Rahman (eds.)
(2011) Policies, Budget and PRSP: Are They Promoting Women's Rights? | Dhaka, Bangladesh:
University Press Limited (UPL).
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) (2012) Management Response to the Special Evaluation Study for the
Effect of Microfinance Operations on Poor Rural Households and the Status of Women | Manila, The
Philippines: Asian Development Bank (ADB), Operations Evaluation Department (November).
- Azim, Firdous (ed.) (2013). Islam, culture and women in Asia - complex terrains. London, United
- Babul, Parvez (2011) Violence against Women and Human Rights | Dhaka, Bangladesh: Oikko
- Bhatnagar, Bhuvan (2012) Northern Areas Reduction-of-Poverty Initiative Project -- Women's Economic
Empowerment Project: P114841 | Implementation Status and Results Report, Report No. ISR6573
- Chowdhury, Al-Hossienie Abdullah (2011) Socio-Economic Impact of Women Entrepreneurship in
Sylhet City, Bangladesh | Falls Church, VA, USA: Bangladesh Development Research Center (BDRC),
Bangladesh Development Research Working Paper Series (BDRWPS), BDRWPS No. 12 (July).
- Chowdhury, M. Jahangir Alam (2013) Microfinance and Women Entrepreneurship? Experience from
Bangladesh | Paper presented at the BDI/CSAS Conference on Bridging the Policy-Action Divide:
Challenges and Prospects for Bangladesh, at the UC Berkeley, CA (February 22-24).
- Corsi, D. J.; Kyu, H. H.; Subramanian, S. V. (2011) Socioeconomic and geographic patterning of under-
and overnutrition among women in Bangladesh | Journal of Nutrition (The), Vol. 141, No. 4, pp. 631-638.
- Dalal, Koustuv; Johanna Andrews; and Suraya Dawad (2012) Contraception use and associations with
intimate partner violence among women in Bangladesh | Journal of Biosocial Science, Vol. 44, No. 1,
- Dalal, Koustuv; Ming Shinn Lee; and Mervyn Gifford (2012) Male Adolescents' Attitudes Toward Wife
Beating: A Multi-Country Study in South Asia | Journal of Adolescent Health, Vol. 50, No. 5 (May), pp.
- Das, Kishore Kumar; M. Sazzad Khondokar; M. Quamruzzaman; Syed Shamsuddin Ahmed; Michael
Peck (2013) Assault by burning in Dhaka, Bangladesh | Burns, Vol. 39, No. 1 (February), pp. 177-183.
- D'Costa, Bina (2012) Women, War, and the Making of Bangladesh: Remembering 1971 | Journal of
Genocide Research, Vol. 14, No. 1 (March), pp. 110-114.
- Deeba, Farah (2011) Women's Political Participation in Bangladesh | Dhaka, Bangladesh: University
Press Limited (UPL).
- Creating Resources for Empowerment in Action (CREA) (2012) Count me IN!: Research report on
violence against disabled, lesbian, and sex-working women in Bangladesh, India, and Nepal | New
Delhi, India: Creating Resources for Empowerment in Action (CREA); also published in: Reproductive
Health Matters, Vol. 20, No. 40 (December), pp. 198-206.
- Edmonds, J. K.; Paul, M.; Sibley, L. M. (2011) Type, content, and source of social support perceived by
women during pregnancy: Evidence from Matlab, Bangladesh | Journal of Health, Population and
Nutrition, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 163-173.
- Edmonds, J. K.; Hruschka, D.; Bernard, H. R.; Sibley, L. (2012) Women's social networks and birth
attendant decisions: Application of the Network-Episode Model | Social Science and Medicine, Vol. 74,
No. 3, pp. 452-459.
- Edwards, C. and S. Saha (2011) From home to hospital, a continuum of care: Making progress towards
Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 in rural Bangladesh | BJOG: An International Journal of
Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol. 118, No. SUPPL. 2, pp. 88-92.
- Gill, R. and D. E. Stewart (2011) Relevance of Gender-Sensitive Policies and General Health Indicators
to Compare the Status of South Asian Women's Health | Women's Health Issues, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 12-
- Genc, Ismail H.; Bassam AbuAl-Foul; and Leyal Ozkul (2012) Women’s Role In Economic Development
In Predominantly Muslim Countries | Journal of Islamic Economics, Banking and Finance, Vol. 8, No. 3
(July-September), Article 5.
- Goldsmith, Heather (2013) Compromising Cases: An Examination of Dispute Resolution through
Special Tribunals for Women and Children in Bangladesh | Paper presented at the BDI/CSAS
Conference on Bridging the Policy-Action Divide: Challenges and Prospects for Bangladesh, at the UC
Berkeley, CA (February 22-24).
- Habib, Mohshin (2012) Role of Microfinance in Political Empowerment of Women: Bangladesh
Experience | OIDA International Journal of Sustainable Development, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 99-110.
- Haque, S. E.; Rahman, M.; Mostofa, Md. G.; Zahan, Md. S. (2012) Reproductive Health Care Utilization
Among Young Mothers in Bangladesh: Does Autonomy Matter? | Women's Health Issues, Vol. 22, No. 2
(March), pp. e171-e180.
- Heath, Rachel (2012) Women's access to labor market opportunities, control of household resources,
and domestic violence | Washington, DC, USA: World Bank.
- Higgitt, Ryan (2011) Women’s Leadership Building as a Poverty Reduction Strategy: Lessons from
Bangladesh | Journal of South Asian Development, Vol. 6, pp. 93-119.
- Hossain, Md. K.; Mondal, Md. N. I.; Akter, Mst. N. (2011) Reproductive health rights of women in the
rural areas of Meherpur District in Bangladesh | Medical Journal of Reproduction and Infertility, Vol. 12,
No. 1, pp. 23-32.
- Hossain, Mohammad A.; Clement A. Tisdell; and Tonmoyee Hasan Ayon (2012) Does Workforce
Participation Empower Women? Micro-Level Evidence from Urban Bangladesh | Bangladesh
Development Studies (The), Vol. 35, No. 3 (September).
- Hossain, Naomi (2012) Women’s empowerment revisited: from individual to collective power among
the export sector workers of Bangladesh | Brighton, United Kingdom: Institute for Development Studies
(IDS), IDS working paper, No. 389.
- Hossen, M. A. and A. Westhues (2011) Rural women's access to health care in Bangladesh: Swimming
against the tide? | Social Work in Public Health, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 278-293.
- Huq, Abdul and Afreen Moyeen (2011) Gender integration in enterprise development programmes |
Women's Studies International Forum, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 320-328.
- Jahan, Fatema R. (2011) Monga and Women: A Case Study from Gaibandha District of Bangladesh |
Journal of Bangladesh Studies, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 11-20.
- Jehan, Kate; Kristi Sidney; Helen Smith; and Ayesha de Costa (2012) Improving access to maternity
services: an overview of cash transfer and voucher schemes in South Asia | Reproductive Health
Matters, Vol. 20, No. 39 (June), pp. 142-154.
- Jesmin, Subrina; Md. Sohag Mia; A.M. Shahidul Islam; Md. Reazul Islam; Sayeeda Nusrat Sultana;
Sohel Zaedi; Naoto Yamaguchi; Osamu Okazaki; Masao Moroi; Sosuke Kimura; and Michiaki Hiroe
(2012) Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among rural Bangladeshi women | Diabetes Research and
Clinical Practice, Vol. 95, No. 1 (January), pp. e7-e9.
- Joshi, Shareen and T. Paul Schultz (2012) Family Planning and Women's and Children's Health: Long
Term Consequences of an Outreach Program in Matlab, Bangladesh | Bonn, Germany: Institute for the
Study of Labor (IZA), IZA Discussion Paper No. 6551.
- Kabeer, Naila (2011) Between Affiliation and Autonomy: Navigating Pathways of Women's
Empowerment and Gender Justice in Rural Bangladesh | Development and Change, Vol. 42, No. 2
(March), pp. 499-528.
- Kalantry, Sital and Jocelyn E. Getgen (2011) Combating Acid Violence in Bangladesh, India and
Cambodia | Avon Global Center for Women and Justice and Dorothea S. Clarke Program in Feminist
Jurisprudence, Paper 1 (Cornell Law Library, Scholarship@Cornell Law: A Digital Repository).
- Karim, K. M. R.; Emmelin, M.; Resurreccion, B. P.; Wamala, S. (2012) Water Development Projects
and Marital Violence: Experiences from Rural Bangladesh | Health Care for Women International, Vol.
33, No. 3, pp. 200-216.
- Karim, Lamia (2011) Microfinance and its discontents : women in debt in Bangladesh | Minneapolis,
MN, USA: University of Minnesota Press.
- Kim, Julia M.; Alain Labrique; Keith P. West; Mahbubur Rashid; Abu A. Shamim; Hasmot Ali; Barkat
Ullah; Lee Wu; Allan Massie; Sucheta Mehra; Rolf Klemm; Parul Christian (2012) Maternal morbidity in
early pregnancy in rural northern Bangladesh | International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, Vol.
119, No. 3 (December), pp. 227-233.
- Kiron, Shafiqul Alam (2012) Women’s Empowerment in Agriculture Index (WEAI)--Case Study Profile:
Seema, Bangladesh | Washington, DC, USA: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI),
- Le Mare, Ann (2012) Show the world to women and they can do it : Southern Fair Trade Enterprises as
agents of empowerment | Gender and Development, Vol. 20, No. 1 (March).
- Loro, Lex (2013). Women’s Empowerment as a Result of Microcredit Loans in Bangladesh? Falls
Church, VA, USA: Bangladesh Development Research Center (BDRC), Bangladesh Development
Research Working Paper Series (BDRWPS), BDRWPS No. 18 (September).
- Mahmud, Simeen; Nirali M. Shah; and Stan Becker (2012) Measurement of Women's Empowerment in
Rural Bangladesh | World Development, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 610-619.
- Malik, Syeda Umme Jakera (2012) Why Highly Educated Women Face Potential Poverty: A Case
Study in Dhaka, Bangladesh | Falls Church, VA, USA: Bangladesh Development Research Center
(BDRC), Bangladesh Development Research Working Paper Series (BDRWPS), BDRWPS No. 15
- Mohsin, Amena and Imtiaz Ahmed (eds.) (2011) Women and militancy - South Asian complexities |
Dhaka, Bangladesh: University Press Limited.
- Moin, Julia (2011) Empowerment of women and their participation in local government politics - a
comparative study rural - urban Bangladesh | Dhaka, Bangladesh: A. H. Development Publ. House.
- Mookherjee, Nayanika (2011) Gendered embodiments: mapping the body-politic of the raped woman
and the nation in Bangladesh | Feminist Review, Vol. 98, No. 1 (July), p. 190 (Erratum).
- Moyeen, Sabah (2013). Northern Areas Reduction-of-Poverty Initiative Project -- Women's Economic
Empowerment Project (P114841), Implementation Status Results Report. Washington, DC, USA: World
Bank, Implementation Status and Results Report, ISR10182 (May 17).
- Nazneen, Sohela; Maheen Sultan; and M. Mukhopadhyay (2011) Mobilising for Women’s Rights and the
Role of Resources: Synthesis Report | Dhaka, Bangladesh: Pathways of Women’s Empowerment RPC
(South Asia Hub) and BRAC Development Institute (BDI).
- Nazneen, Sohela; Naomi Hossain; and Maheen Sultan (2011) National Discourses on Women’s
Empowerment in Bangladesh: Continuities and Change | Brighton, UK: University of Sussex, Institute of
Development Studies (IDS), IDS Working Paper, No. 368 (July).
- Nessa, Tasqurun; Jamal Ali; and Roslan Abdul-Hakim (2012) The Impact of Microcredit Program on
Women Empowerment: Evidence from Bangladesh | OIDA International Journal of Sustainable
Development, Vol. 3, No. 9, pp. 11-20.
- Paris, Thelma; Catalina Diaz; and Iftekhar Hossain (2011) Participatory evaluation of a rice flour mill by
poor rural women: Lessons from Bangladesh | Gender, Technology and Development, Vol. 15, No. 2,
- Perucca, Chiara (ed.) (2012) Garo women's traditional knowledge as a response to climate change |
Dhaka, Bangladesh: Bangladesh Resource Centre for Indigenous Knowledge (BARCIK) December.
Available at: http://www.barcik.org.bd/images/books/garo%20womens%20traditional%20knowledge%
- Peters, Christina (2011) Effects of family planning and health services on women’s welfare: evidence on
dowries and intra-household bargaining in Bangladesh | Review of Economics of the Household, Vol. 9,
No. 3 (September), pp. 327-348.
- Quaiyum, M.A.; N. Prata; M.M. Holston; S. Hossain; and S. Rahman; (2012) Protecting Women Who
Deliver at Home from PPH: The Use of Clean Delivery Kits in Northwestern Bangladesh | International
Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics, Vol. 119, Suppl. 3 (October), p. S370.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R.; Neha Kumar; and Julia A. Behrman (2011) Do shocks affect men’s and women’
s assets differently? A review of literature and new evidence from Bangladesh and Uganda |
Washington, DC, USA: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), IFPRI Discussion Paper
01113 (August); available at: http://www.ifpri.org/sites/default/files/publications/ifpridp01113.pdf.
- Rahman, M.; Hoque, M. A.; Makinoda, S. (2011) Intimate Partner Violence Against Women: Is Women
Empowerment a Reducing Factor? A Study from a National Bangladeshi Sample | Journal of Family
Violence, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 411-420.
- Rahman, Mosfequr (2012) Women's Autonomy and Unintended Pregnancy Among Currently Pregnant
Women in Bangladesh | Maternal and Child Health Journal, Vol. 16, No 6, pp. 1206-1214.
- Rashid, Sabina Faiz; Owasim Akram; and Hilary Standing (2011) The Sexual and Reproductive Health
Care Market in Bangladesh: Where Do Poor Women Go? | Reproductive Health Matters, Vol. 19, No.
37, pp. 21-31.
- Razzaque, Mohammad A. and Sayema H. Bidisha (2012) Does Microfinance Promote Women’s
Empowerment? An Empirical Investigation | Journal of Bangladesh Studies, Special Issue:
Microfinance, pp. 11-29.
- Sambisa, W.; Angeles, G.; Lance, P. M.; Naved, R. T.; Thornton, J. (2011) Prevalence and correlates of
physical spousal violence against women in slum and nonslum areas of urban Bangladesh | Journal of
Interpersonal Violence, Vol. 26, No. 13, pp. 2592-2618.
- Sayem, Amir M. and Abu Taher M. S. Nury (2011) Factors associated with teenage marital pregnancy
among Bangladeshi women | Reproductive Health, Vol. 8, No. 16.
- Sayem, Amir M.; Abu Taher M. S. Nury; and M. D. Hossain (2011) Achieving the millennium
development goal for under-five mortality in Bangladesh: Current status and lessons for issues and
challenges for further improvements | Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 92-
- Sayem, Amir Mohammad and Mohammad Aftab Uddin Khan (2012) Women's Strategic Responses to
Intimate Partner Violence: A Study in a Rural Community of Bangladesh | Asian Social Work and Policy
Review, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 23-39.
- Schuler, Sidney Ruth; Lenzi, Rachel; Yount, Kathryn M. (2011) Justification of Intimate Partner Violence
in Rural Bangladesh: What Survey Questions Fail to Capture | Studies in Family Planning, Vol. 42, No. 1
(March), pp. 21-28.
- Siddiqi, Dina M. (2011) Transnational Feminism and “Local” Realities: The Imperiled Muslim Woman
and the Production of (In)Justice | Hawwa, Vol. 9, Nos. 1-2, pp. 76-96.
- Sperandio, Jill (2011) Context and the gendered status of teachers: women's empowerment through
leadership of non-formal schooling in rural Bangladesh | Gender and Education, Vol. 23, No. 2 (March),
- Sultana, A. M. (2011) Factors effect on women autonomy and decision-making power within the
household in rural communities | Journal of Applied Sciences Research, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 18-22.
- Sultana, Tamima (2011) Expectations, Realities and Coping Strategies of Elderly Women in a Village
of Bangladesh | Falls Church, VA, USA: Bangladesh Development Research Center (BDRC),
Bangladesh Development Research Working Paper Series (BDRWPS), BDRWPS No. 13 (December).
- Todd, Petra E. (2012) Effectiveness of interventions aimed at improving women's employability and
quality of work: a critical review | Washington, DC, USA: World Bank Policy Research Working Paper,
- Vinding, Diana and Ellen-Rose Kampbel (2012) Indigenous women workers : with case studies from
Bangladesh, Nepal and the Americas | Geneva, Switzerland: International Labour Office (ILO).
- Walton, Lori Marie (2012) Gender Equity Theory and Maternal Mortality and Morbidity in Bangladesh |
Health Care for Women International, pp. 1-15.
- Walton, Lori Marie (2012) Socio-Economic Barriers to Maternal Health in Bangladeshi Women | Indian
Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, pp. 1-7.