Bangladesh Food Security Monitoring Bulletin
- published 4 times a year by the World Food Programme (WFP) Bangladesh Country Office.
- focuses on developments affecting food security in Bangladesh.
Also of interest: The WFP’s Bangladesh country-website
Other new publications related to food security in Bangladesh:
- Abu Bakar, M.; Islam, S.; and A. M. Abdullah (2011) Studies of minerals in vegetables available at
Chittagong City in Bangladesh; Electronic Journal of Environmental, Agricultural and Food Chemistry,
Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 2365-2370.
- Ahamad, Mazbahul Golam (2010) Household food vulnerability dynamics in monga prone areas of
Bangladesh: A bivariate probit analysis; Economics Bulletin, Vol. 30, No. 1. p. A9 (Research
- Ahmad, Masood (2013). Project Information Document (Appraisal Stage) - Bangladesh Modern Food
Storage Facilities Project - P120583 | Washington, DC, USA: World Bank, Project Information
Document, PIDA927 (April 02).
- Ahmed, Akhter U.; Paul Dorosh; Quazi Shahabuddin; and Ruhul Amin Talukder (2010) Income growth,
safety nets, and public food distribution | Paper presented at the Bangladesh Food Security
Investment Forum, Dhaka (May 26-27).
- Ahmed, Nesar and S. T. Garnett (2011) Integrated rice-fish farming in Bangladesh: meeting the
challenges of food security | Food Security, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 81-92.
- Ahmed, Nesar; Kerstin K. Zander; and Stephen T. Garnett (2011) Socioeconomic aspects of rice-fish
farming in Bangladesh: opportunities, challenges and production efficiency; Australian Journal of
Agricultural and Resource Economics (The), Vol. 55, No. 2 (April), pp. 199-219.
- Ahsan, D. A. and T. A. del Valls (2011) Impact of arsenic contaminated irrigation water in food chain:
An overview from Bangladesh; International Journal of Environmental Research, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 627-
- Ahsan, Dewan Ali (2011) Farmers' motivations, risk perceptions and risk management strategies in a
developing economy: Bangladesh experience; Journal of Risk Research, Vol. 14, No. 3 (March), pp.
- Akhtar, Saeed; Tariq Ismail; Sunethra Atukorala; N. Arlappa (2013). Micronutrient deficiencies in
South Asia-current status and strategies | Trends in Food Science & Technology, Vol. 31, No. 1
(May), pp. 55-62.
- Alam, Mohammad Jahangir; Jeroen Buysse; Ismat Ara Begum; Eric J. Wailes; and Guido van
Huylenbroeck (2011) The welfare impact of policy interventions in the foodgrain markets in
Bangladesh; Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 215-225.
- Al-Rmalli, S. W.; R. O. Jenkins; and P. I. Haris (2012) Dietary intake of cadmium from Bangladeshi
foods; Journal of Food Science, Vol. 77, No. 1, pp. T26-T33.
- Asaduzzaman, M.; Claudia Ringler; James Thurlow; and Safiqul Alam ((2010) | Investing in Crop
Agriculture in Bangladesh for Higher Growth and Productivity and Adaptation to Climate Change\ |
Paper presented at the Bangladesh Food Security Investment Forum, Dhaka (May 26-27).
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) (2012) Emergency Assistance for Food Security Project; Manila,
The Philippines: Asian Development Bank (ADB), Completion Report, Project No. 42166-013 (July).
- Bala, B. and M. Hossain (2010) Food security and ecological footprint of coastal zone of Bangladesh
| Environment, Development and Sustainability, Vol. 12, No. 4 (August), pp. 531-545.
- Bala, B. and M. Hossain (2010) Modeling of food security and ecological footprint of coastal zone of
Bangladesh | Environment, Development and Sustainability, Vol. 12, No. 4 (August), pp. 511-529.
- Belton, Ben; Mohammad Mahfujul Haque; David C. Little; and Le Xuan Sinh (2011) Certifying catfish
in Vietnam and Bangladesh: Who will make the grade and will it matter?; Food Policy, Vol. 36, No. 2,
- Biswas, K. R. and M. Rahmatullah (2011) A survey of non-conventional plants consumed during times
of food scarcity in three adjoining villages of Narail and Jessore districts, Bangladesh; American-
Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 1-5.
- Bouis, H. E.; Eozenou, P.; Rahman, A. (2011) Food prices, household income, and resource
allocation: Socioeconomic perspectives on their effects on dietary quality and nutritional status; Food
and Nutrition Bulletin, Vol. 32, No. 1 SUPPL., pp. S14-S23.
- Campbell, A. A.; Akhter, N.; Sun, K.; De Pee, S.; Kraemer, K.; Moench-Pfanner, R.; Rah, J. H.;
Badham, J.; Bloem, M. W.; Semba, R. D. (2011) Relationship of homestead food production with
night blindness among children below 5 years of age in Bangladesh; Public Health Nutrition, Vol. 14,
No. 9, pp. 1627-1631.
- Davis Ohlhorst, Sarah; Slavin, Margaret; Bhide, Jennifer M.; Bugusu, Betty (2012) Use of Iodized Salt
in Processed Foods in Select Countries Around the World and the Role of Food Processors;
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, Vol. 11, No. 2 (March), pp. 233-284.
- Deb, Uttam (2010) Global Financial Crisis and Food Security in Bangladesh | Paper presented at the
Regional Workshop on Food and Financial Crisis in Asia, organised by FAO Regional Office for Asia
and the Pacific, on 23-24 February 2010, in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Deb, Uttam; Nafisa Khaled; Subir Kanti Bairagi; Muhammad Al Amin; Mazbahul Golam Ahamad; and
Kaniz Tasnima (2010) Achieving boro rice production targets in FY 2009-10 : challenges and actions
required | Dhaka, Bangladesh: Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), CPD Occasional Paper Series,
- E-Jahan, Khondker Murshed; Mahfuzuddin Ahmed; and Ben Belton (2010) The impacts of
aquaculture development on food security: lessons from Bangladesh | Aquaculture Research, Vol. 41,
No. 4 (March), pp. 481-495.
- Feenstra, S. G.; Nahar, Q.; Pahan, D.; Oskam, L.; Richardus, J. H. (2011) Recent food shortage is
associated with leprosy disease in Bangladesh: A case-control study; PLoS Neglected Tropical
Diseases, Vol. 5, No. 5.
- Food Planning and Monitoring Unit (FPMU), Ministry of Food and Disaster Management, GoB (2011)
Bangladesh Country Investment Plan: A road map towards investment in agriculture, food security and
nutrition; Dhaka, Bangladesh: Food Planning and Monitoring Unit (FPMU), Ministry of Food and
Disaster Management, GoB (June).
- Ghosh, Shyamal C.; A. N. M. Mahfuzur Rahman; and Wameq A Raza (2011) Agricultural Practice and
its Relation to Poverty and Food Security in Selected River Basins in Bangladesh: A Situation
Analysis | Dhaka, Bangladesh: BRAC, Research and Evaluation Department (RED), Working Paper,
No. 24 (August).
- Hossain, Shaikh Tanveer (2013). Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security of Bangladesh – Issues
and Recommendations | In: J. Ram Pillarisetti, Roger Lawrey and Azman Ahmad (eds.) Multifunctional
Agriculture, Ecology and Food: International Perspectives (New York: Nova Science Publishers Inc.),
pp. 257-268 (Chapter 18).
- Hossain, Shaikh Tanveer; and S. Akter (2011) Organic sack garden ensuring nutrition and improve
the food security on small scale households; Proceedings of the 17th IFOAM Organic World
Congress, held in Namyangju City, Gyeonggi Province, Republic of Korea (September 26-October 5).
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) (2011) Opportunities and Options to End Hunger
in Bangladesh; Washingtion, DC, USA: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Press
Release (October 4th). Available at: http://www.ifpri.org/sites/default/files/pressrel20111004.pdf
- Islam, M. T.; Das, P. R.; Salehin Bin Mahmud, A. F. M.; Hasan, M. E.; Jahan, F. I.; Seraj, S.; Islam, F.;
Khatun, Z.; Chowdhury, A. R.; Rahman, M. A.; Rahmatullah, M. (2011) A survey of non-conventional
plant items consumed during food scarcity in two randomly selected villages of Kurigram district,
Bangladesh; American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 233-239.
- Joshi, A.; Azab, M.; Mosaad, M.; Moselhy, M.; Osmanzai, M.; Gelalcha, S.; Bedada, G.; Bhatta, M.;
Hakim, A.; Malaker, P.; Haque, M.; Tiwari, T.; Majid, A.; Jalal Kamali, M.; Bishaw, Z.; Singh, R.;
Payne, T.; Braun, H. (2011) Delivering rust resistant wheat to farmers: a step towards increased food
security | Euphytica, Vol. 179, No. 1 (May),pp. 187-196.
- Karim, Zahurul; Khan Shahidul Huque; Md. Golam Hussain; Zulfiqar Ali; and Mosharraf Hossain
(2010) Growth and development potential of livestock and fisheries in Bangladesh | Paper presented
at the Bangladesh Food Security Investment Forum, Dhaka (May 26-27).
- Khan, A.; Kabir, I.; Ekström, E.-C.; Sling-Monemi, K.; Alam, D.; Frongillo, E. A.; Yunus, Md.; Arifeen,
S.; Persson, L. -K. (2011) Effects of prenatal food and micronutrient supplementation on child growth
from birth to 54 months of age: A randomized trial in Bangladesh; Nutrition Journal, Vol. 10, No. 1,
Article No. 134.
- Mahmud, M. S.; Bari, M. L.; Hossain, M. A. (2011) Prevalence of Salmonella serovars and
antimicrobial resistance profiles in poultry of Savar area, Bangladesh; Foodborne Pathogens and
Disease, Vol. 8, No. 10, pp. 1111-1118.
- Mallick, Debdulal and Mohammad Rafi (2010) Are Female-Headed Households More Food
Insecure? Evidence from Bangladesh | World Development, Vol. 38, No. 4 (April), pp. 593-605.
- Mascie-Taylor, G. C. N.; M. K. Marks; and R. Goto (2010) A Short-term Cash-for-Work Programme
Improved Nutritional Status, Food Expenditure and Consumption of CLP Dwellers the Monga
(Hungry) Season 2007 | Dhaka, Bangladesh: Chars Livelihoods Programme (CLP), Brief (June 22).
- Mayer, Anne-Marie et al. (2010) A food systems approach to increase dietary zinc intake in
Bangladesh based on an analysis of diet, rice production and processing | In: Brian Thompson and
Leslie Amoroso (eds.) Combating micronutrient deficiencies : food-based approaches (Rome, Italy:
Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations ; Oxfordshire, UK : CAB International).
- McIntyre, L.; Rondeau, K.; Kirkpatrick, S.; Hatfield, J.; Islam, K. S.; Huda, S. N. (2011) Food
provisioning experiences of ultra poor female heads of household living in Bangladesh; Social
Science and Medicine, Vol. 72, No. 6, pp. 969-976.
- Mellor, John W. (2010) Increasing food security through strategies and investments to increase
incomes of small commercial farmers | Paper presented at the Bangladesh Food Security Investment
Forum, Dhaka (May 26-27).
- Minton, Bart; A. Z. M. Shafiqul Alam; Uttam K. Deb; Akhtaruz Zaman K. Kabir; David Laborde;
Mohammed Hassanullah; and K. A. S. Murshid (2010) Agricultural marketing, price stabilization, value
chains, and global/regional trade | Paper presented at the Bangladesh Food Security Investment
Forum, Dhaka (May 26-27).
- Minton, Bart; K. A. S. Murshid; and Thomas Reardon (2011) The quiet revolution in agrifood value
chains in Asia: The case of increasing quality in rice markets in Bangladesh; Washington, DC, USA:
International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), IFPRI Discussion Paper 01141 (December).
Available at: http://www.ifpri.org/sites/default/files/publications/ifpridp01141.pdf.
- Minten, Bart; K. A. S. Murshid; Thomas Reardon (2013). Food Quality Changes and Implications:
Evidence from the Rice Value Chain of Bangladesh | World Development, Vol. 42, No. 2 (February),
- Murshid, K. A. S. (forthcoming) | Study on Determination of Food Availability and Consumption
Patterns and Lifting Up of Nutritional Standards in Bangladesh | Dhaka, Bangladesh: Bangladesh
Institute of Development Studies (BIDS), forthcoming.
- Murshid, K.A.S.; Md. Nazrul Islam Khan; Quazi Shahabuddin; Mohammad Yunus; Salma Akhter; and
Omar Haider Chowdhury (2008) Determination of Food Availability and Consumption Patterns and
Setting up of Nutritional Standard in Bangladesh; Rome, Italy: World Food Programme (WFP) et al.
(January); available at: http://www.wfp.org/sites/default/files/Determination%20of%20Food%
- Murshid, K. A. S.; Zulfiqar Ali; Nazneen Ahmed; and Md. Yunus (forthcoming) | Food Fortification:
Combating Intergenerational Malnutrition among the Extreme Poor in Bangladesh | Dhaka,
Bangladesh: Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS), forthcoming.
- Paul, A. K.; Chakma, P.; Nahar, N.; Akber, M.; Ferdausi, D.; Ahsan, S.; Nasrin, D.; Jamal, F.; Ahmed,
R.; Rahmatullah, M. (2011) A survey of non-conventional plant items consumed during times of food
scarcity by the Chakma people of Hatimara village of Rangamati district, Bangladesh; American-
Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 87-91.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. (2013). Generating evidence on individuals' experience of food insecurity and
vulnerability | Global Food Security, Vol. 2, No. 1 (March), pp. 50-55.
- Rah, J. H.; De Pee, S.; Halati, S.; Parveen, M.; Mehjabeen, S. S.; Steiger, G.; Bloem, M. W.; Kraemer,
K. (2011) Provision of micronutrient powder in response to the cyclone sidr emergency in
Bangladesh: Crosssectional assessment at the end of the intervention; Food and Nutrition Bulletin,
Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 277-285.
- Rahman, M. H.; Lund, T.; Bryceson, I. (2011) Salinity effects on food habits in three coastal, rural
villages in Bangladesh; Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 230-242.
- Rahman, Obaidur and Md. Rafiqul Islam (2011) Association between fasting of ramadan and risk
factors of diabetes: A study from Rajshahi city in Bangladesh; Advance Journal of Food Science and
Technology, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 360-365.
- Rahman, Sanzidur (2010) Six decades of agricultural land use change in Bangladesh: Effects on crop
diversity, productivity, food availability and the environment, 1948-2006 | Singapore Journal of
Tropical Geography, Vol. 31, No. 2 (July), pp. 254-269.
- Rahmatullah, M.; Jahan, F. I.; Seraj, S.; Khatun, Z.; Islam, F.; Sattar, M. M.; Khan, T.; Ishika, T.;
Rahman, M.; Jahan, R. (2011) Correlation between non-conventional plants consumed during food
scarcity and their folk medicinal usages: A case study in two villages of Kurigram district, Bangladesh;
American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 240-246.
- Rasheed, S.; Haider, R.; Hassan, N.; Pachan, H.; Islam, S.; Jalal, C. S. B.; Sanghvi, T. G. (2011) Why
does nutrition deteriorate rapidly among children under 2 years of age? Using qualitative methods to
understand community perspectives on complementary feeding practices in Bangladesh; Food and
Nutrition Bulletin, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 192-200.
- Robles, Miguel (2010) Welfare Impact of Changing Food Prices: The Case of Bangladesh, Pakistan,
andVietnam | Washington, DC, United States: International Food Policy Research Institute, Study
prepared for the project ADB RETA 13th, Policies for Ensuring Food Security in South and Southeast
Asia (November, mimeo).
- SAARC Human Resource Development Centre (SHRDC) (forthcoming) | Attaining Food and Nutrition
Security in South Asia | Islamabad, Pakistan: SAARC Human Resource Development Centre,
- Saha, K. K.; F. Tofail; E. A. Frongillo; K. M. Rasmussen; S. E. Arifeen; L. A. Persson; S. N. Huda; and
J. D. Hamadani (2010) Household food security is associated with early childhood language
development: results from a longitudinal study in rural Bangladesh | Child: Care, Health and
Development, Vol. 36, No. 3 (May), pp. 309-316.
- Sen, Binayak; Purnima Menon; Akhter U. Ahmed; and Fatema Parveen Chowdhury (2010) Food
utilization and nutrition security | Paper presented at the Bangladesh Food Security Investment Forum,
Dhaka (May 26-27).
- Shajib, Md. Tariqul Islam; Mahbuba Kawser; Md. Nuruddin Miah; Parveen Begum; Lalita
Bhattacharjee; A. Hossain; Inge S. Fomsgaard; Sheikh Nazrul Islam (2013). Nutritional composition of
minor indigenous fruits: Cheapest nutritional source for the rural people of Bangladesh | Food
Chemistry, Vol. 140, No. 3 (October), pp. 466-470.
- Thompson, Brian and Leslie Amoroso (eds.) (2010) Combating micronutrient deficiencies : food-
based approaches | Rome, Italy: Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations; and
Oxfordshire, UK: CAB International (November).
- Timmer, C. Peter (2010) Food security in Asia: The role of larger rice reserves to build confidence in
trade | Paper presented at the Bangladesh Food Security Investment Forum, Dhaka (May 26-27).
- United States Agency for International Development, Bureau of Democracy, Conflict and
Humanitarian Assistance (2010) Office of Food for Peace, Fiscal Year 2009 Annual Results Report,
Save the Children /Bangladesh | Washington, DC, USA: USAID, Award No.: FFP-A-00-04-00080-00
(July) (date on coverpage: 11/02/2009).
- Wadud, Md. Abdul (2013). Impact of Microcredit on Agricultural Farm Performance and Food
Security in Bangladesh | Dhaka, Bangladesh: Institute of Microfinance (InM), Working Paper No. 14
- World Bank (2010) Food Price Increases in South Asia: National Responses and Regional
Dimensions | Washington, DC, USA: World Bank, Report No. 56086, Other Agricultural Study,
Agriculture and Rural Development Unit (June); available at: http://go.worldbank.org/Y474NPRMH0.
- Yu, Winston; Mozaharul Alam; Ahmadul Hassan; Abu Saleh Khan; Cynthia Rosenzweig; Alex Ruane;
David Major; and James Thurlow (2010) Climate Change Risks and Food Security in Bangladesh |
London, UK and Sterling, VA, USA: Earthscan Publications.