- Aboud, Frances; Nafisa Lira Huq; Charles P. Larson; and Livia Ottisova (2010) “An assessment of community
readiness for HIV/AIDS preventive interventions in rural Bangladesh”, Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 70, No. 3
(February), pp. 360-36.
- Ahsan Ullah, A. K. M. (2011) HIV/AIDS-related stigma and discrimination: A study of health care providers in
Bangladesh, Journal of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 97-104.
- Alam, Mohammad Didarul (2008) “HIV/AIDS prevention among sex workers: A case study of sex worker
interventions of National AIDS STD Programme (NASP) from a gender perspective”, in: Interdisciplinary
Research for Development: A Workbook on Content and Process Challenges; edited by: Malcolm MacLachlan,
Stuart C. Carr, and Ishbel McWha (New Delhi: Global Development Network), pp. 86-93.
- Anwar, N. and S. I. Khan (2010) Sexual life after HIV infection: An exploratory study among HIV positive adult
males and females in Dhaka, Bangladesh, International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 2,
- Ayyub, Rukhsana (2007) Understanding Drug Addiction & Counseling Skills for Prevention of HIV and AIDS
(Training Manual), (Dhaka: CARE Bangladesh; April).
- Azim, T.; E. I. Chowdhury; M. Reza; M. O. Faruque; G. Ahmed; R. Khan; M. Rahman; M. M. Pervez; S. Jana; and
S. Strathdee (2008) “Prevalence of Infections, HIV Risk Behaviors and Factors Associated with HIV Infection
Among Male Injecting Drug Users Attending a Needle/Syringe Exchange Program in Dhaka, Bangladesh”,
Substance Use and Misuse, Vol. 43, No. 14, pp. 2124-2144.
- Azim, T.; M. Rahman; M. S. Alam; I. A. Chowdhury; R. Khan; M. Reza; M. Rahman; E. I. Chowdhury; M.
Hanifuddin; and A. S. M. M. Rahman (2008) “Bangladesh moves from being a low-prevalence nation for HIV to
one with a concentrated epidemic in injecting drug users”, International Journal of STD & AIDS, Vol. 19, No. 5,
- Azim, Tasnim; Sharful Islam Khan; Fariha Haseen; Nafisa Lira Huq; Lars Henning; Md. Moshtaq Pervez; Mahbub
Elahi Chowdhury; and Isabelle Sarafian (2008) “HIV/AIDS in Bangladesh” Journal of Health, Population and
Nutrition, Vol. 26, No. 3 (September), pp. 311-324.
- Chowdhury, Md. Quamrul Hasan, Md. Rafiqul Islam and Md. Kamal Hossain (2010) “Women Awareness about
AIDS: Evidence from Natore District of Bangladesh”, The Internet Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 8, No. 1.
- Family Health International, Bangladesh (2010) Bangladesh AIDS Program, October 2005-October 2009
(Washington, DC, USA: United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Final Report).
- Family Health International; with Institute for Tropical Medicine; Management Sciences for Health; Population
Services International; Program for Appropriate Technology in Health; and University of North Carolina at Chapel
Hill (2007) “Bangladesh Program Final Report: September 1997 – September 2007 for USAID'S Implementing
AIDS Prevention and Care (IMPACT) Project”, Arlington, VA, USA: Family Health International; for USAID.
- Foss, Anna M.; Charlotte H. Watts; Peter Vickerman; Tasnim Azim; Lorna Guinness; Munir Ahmed; Andrea
Rodericks; and Smarajit Jana (2007) “Could the CARE–SHAKTI intervention for injecting drug users be
maintaining the low HIV prevalence in Dhaka, Bangladesh?”, Addiction, Vol. 102, No. 1, pp. 114-125.
- Gagnon, Anita J.; Lisa Merry; Jacqueline Bocking; Ellen Rosenberg; and Jacqueline Oxman-Martinez (2010)
“South Asian migrant women and HIV/STIs: Knowledge, attitudes and practices and the role of sexual power”,
Health & Place, Vol. 16, No. 1 (January), pp. 10-15.
- Gazi, D. R. (2008) “Are Boatmen in Teknaf, a Bordering Area of Bangladesh Vulnerable to HIV Infection?”,
International Journal of Infectious Diseases, Vol. 12, No. SUPP/1, pp. e160.
- Haider, Muhiuddin; Shamsun Nahar Ahmed; and Nilufar K. Jaha (2008) “Bangladesh HIV/AIDS communication
challenges and strategies”, Bangladesh Medical Research Council Bulletin, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 54-61.
- Hales, David; Andrew Kantner; Sharful Islam Khan; and Billy Pick (2007) Bangladesh AIDS Program Mid- Term
Evaluation and Future Directions (Washington, DC, USA: The Global Health Technical Assistance Project,
- Hossain, M. B. and S. Kippax (2011) Stigmatized attitudes toward people living with HIV in Bangladesh: Health
care workers' perspectives, Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 171-182.
- Hossain, Mohammad Bellal; M. Alamgir Kabir; and Hasina Ferdous (2007) “Knowledge of HIV and AIDS among
Tertiary Students in Bangladesh”, International Quarterly of Community Health Education, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 271-
- Imam, M. H.; Karim, M. R.; Ferdous, C.; Akhter, S. (2011) Health related quality of life among the people living
with HIV, Bangladesh Medical Research Council Bulletin, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 1-6.
- International Labour Office (ILO) (2007) Legal and policy initiatives in South Asia to strengthen the national
responses to HIV/AIDS in the world of work (Geneva, Switzerland: International Labour Office, ILO Programme on
HIV/AIDS and the World of Work).
- Islam, M. (2010) “Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, transmission and prevention methods in Bangladesh”, International
Journal of Infectious Diseases, Vol. 14, Supplement 2 (July), p. S77.
- Islam, M. M. and K. M. Conigrave (2007) “Increasing prevalence of HIV, and persistent high-risk behaviours
among drug users in Bangladesh: need for a comprehensive harm reduction programme”, Drug and Alcohol
Review, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 445-454.
- Islam, M. Mofizul and Katherine M. Conigrave (2008) “HIV and sexual risk behaviors among recognized high-risk
groups in Bangladesh: need for a comprehensive prevention program”, International Journal of Infectious
Diseases, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 363-370.
- Islam, Mohammad Mainul (2008) “HIV/AIDS and communication for behavior change in rural Bangladesh”,
International Journal of Infectious Diseases, Vol. 12SUPP/3, pp. S71.
- Mahmood, S. A. I. (2007) “HIV/AIDS in Bangladesh: The Role of Government in Health and Human Services
Administration”, Journal of Health and Human Services Administration, Vol. 30, No. 1/2, pp. 129- 155.
- Matin, N.; Shahrin, L.; Pervez, M. M.; Banu, S.; Ahmed, D.; Khatun, M.; Pietroni, M. (2011) Clinical profile of
HIV/AIDS-infected patients admitted to a new specialist unit in Dhaka, Bangladesh-A low-prevalence country for
HIV, Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 14-19.
- Mostafa Kamal, S. M. (2012) Vulnerable sexuality and HIV/AIDS prevention knowledge among ethnic tribal male
youth in Bangladesh, Sex Education, Vol. 12, No. 2 (April), pp. 127-145.
- Over, Mead (2009) AIDS Treatment in South Asia: Equity and Efficiency Arguments for Shouldering the Fiscal
Burden When Prevalence Rates Are Low | Washington, DC, USA: Center for Global Development (CGD),
Working Paper, No. 161 (February).
- Rahman, Md. Mosiur, Ahmad Zohirul Islam and Md. Rafiqul Islam (2009) “Determinants of Knowledge and
Awareness about AIDS: Urban-Rural Differentials in Bangladesh”, The Internet Journal of Health, Vol. 9, No. 2.
- Reddy, Amala; Md. Mozammel Hoque; and Robert Kelly (2008) “HIV transmission in Bangladesh: An analysis of
IDU programme coverage”, International Journal on Drug Policy, Vol. 19, No. SUPP/1, pp. 37- 46.
- Roy, T. K. and S. C. Mondal (2007) “Differentials of Knowledge on AIDS among Adolescents in Bangladesh”,
Man in India, Vol. 87, No. 3/4, pp. 323-33.
- Safiullah Sarker, M.; Rahman, M.; Urmi, A. Z.; Al-Mamun, F.; Islam, L. N.; Azim, T. (2011) Detection of a rare HIV
type 1 strain CRF16-A2D in Bangladesh, AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 435-438.
- Sarafian, Isabelle (2012) Process assessment of a peer education programme for HIV prevention among sex
workers in Dhaka, Bangladesh : A social support framework, Social Science and Medicine, Vol. 75, No. 4
(August), pp. 668-675.
- Sarkar, Kamalesh; Baishali Bal; Rita Mukherjee; Sekhar Chakraborty; Suman Saha; Arundhuti Ghosh; and Scott
Parsons (2008) “Sex-trafficking, Violence, Negotiating Skill, and HIV Infection in Brothel-based Sex Workers of
Eastern India, Adjoining Nepal, Bhutan, and Bangladesh”, Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, Vol. 26,
No. 2, pp. 223-231.
- Sarkar, Prosannajid; Golam Mostofa; and Mostafizur Rahman (2010) “Knowledge of Transmission Routes and
Prevention way of HIV/AIDS: Bangladesh Context”, The Social Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 525-531.
- Stangl, Anne; Dara Carr; Laura Brady; Traci Eckhaus; Mariam Claeson; and Laura Nyblade (2010)
“Bangladesh”, in: Tackling HIV-Related Stigma and Discrimination in South Asia (Washington, DC: The World
Bank), Chapter 13.
- Stangl, Anne; Dara Carr; Laura Brady; Traci Eckhaus; Mariam Claeson; and Laura Nyblade (2010) “Fighting
Internalized Stigma among Injecting Drug Users in Bangladesh: A Combination Program to Support Economic
and Social Reintegration”, in: Tackling HIV-Related Stigma and Discrimination in South Asia (Washington, DC:
The World Bank), Chapter 7.
- Stangl, Anne; Dara Carr; Laura Brady; Traci Eckhaus; Mariam Claeson; and Laura Nyblade (2010) Tackling HIV-
Related Stigma and Discrimination in South Asia (Washington, DC, USA: The World Bank, Directions in
Development, Human Development).
- Stangl, Anne; Dara Carr; Laura Brady; Traci Eckhaus; Mariam Claeson; and Laura Nyblade (2010) “The
Gateway to Public Opinion: Harnessing Local Journalists to Fight Stigma and Discrimination in Bangladesh”, in:
Tackling HIV-Related Stigma and Discrimination in South Asia (Washington, DC: The World Bank), Chapter 8.
- Uddin, Md. Jashim (2008) Knowledge and Perceptions of Rural Girls of Bangladesh on STD and HIV/AIDS |
South Asian Anthropologist, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 111-116.
- World Bank (2007) HIV/AIDS in Bangladesh (Washington, DC: World Bank; August).
- World Bank (2008) “Bangladesh - HIV/AIDS Prevention Project”, Washington, DC, USA: World Bank,
Implementation Completion and Results Report, No. ICR833 (June).