I. List of recent publications (on indigenous people in Bangladesh)
- Ahmed, Kawser (2010) “Defining 'Indigenous' in Bangladesh: International Law in Domestic Context”,
International Journal on Minority and Group Rights, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 47-73.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) (2008) Bangladesh: Second Urban Governance and Infrastructure
Improvement (Sector) Project (Manila, The Philippines: Asian Development Bank (ADB), Indigenous
Peoples Planning Document, Draft for Review, January).
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) (2010) BAN: Second Crop Diversification Project (Manila, The Philippines:
Asian Development Bank (ADB), Indigenous People's Development Planning Document, Project No.
40534-01 (January) Draft).
- Bal, Ellen (2007) “Becoming the Garos of Bangladesh: Policies of Exclusion and the Ethnicisation of a
‘Tribal’ Minority”, South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies, Vol. 30, No. 3 (December), pp. 439-455.
- Bangladesh Society for the Enforcement of Human Rights (BSEHR) (2008) Legal and human rights of
ethnic minorities in Bangladesh (Dhaka, Bangladesh: Bangladesh Society for the Enforcement of Human
- Chakma, Mangal Kumar; Pallab Chakma; and Makfie Farah (2009) “A Brief Account of the Human Rights
Situation of the Indigenous Peoples in Bangladesh”, in: Asia Indigenous Peoples Pact (AIPP) Foundation
(ed.) Indigenous Peoples’ Human Rights Report in Asia 2008: Bangladesh - Burma - Lao (Chiang Mai,
Thailand: Asia Indigenous Peoples Pact (AIPP) Foundation), pp. 12-61.
- Chowdhury, Afsan (2010) “Hindus in a Polarised Political Environment: Bangladesh’s Minority”, in: Rita
Manchanda (ed.) States in Conflict with Their Minorities -- Challenges to Minority Rights in South Asia
(New Delhi and Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications), Chapter 4.
- Erni, Christian (2008) Concept of indigenous peoples in Asia : a resource book (Copenhagen, Denmark:
International Work Group for Indigenous Affairs (IWGIA)).
- Fredlund, Jessie (2007) “Indigenous women overcome multiple obstacles”, Geneva, Switzerland:
International Labor Office, World of Work, No. 59 (April), pp. 8-11; available at: http://www.ilo.
- Geiger, Danilo (2008) Frontier encounters: indigenous communities and settlers in Asia and Latin America
(Copenhagen, Denmark: International Work Group for Indigenous Affairs (IWGIA)).
- Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh (GoB), Ministry of Local Government, Rural
Development and Cooperatives--Local Government Engineering Department (2008) Preparing the
Participatory Small-Scale Water Resources Project III (Manila, The Philippines: Asian Development Bank
(ADB), Indigenous Peoples Development Planning Document (Draft), Project No. 39432 (October)).
- Gunter, Bernhard G.; Atiq Rahman; and A. F. M. Ataur Rahman (2008) “How Vulnerable are Bangladesh’s
Indigenous People to Climate Change?”, Falls Church, VA, USA: Bangladesh Development Research
Center (BDRC), Bangladesh Development Research Working Paper Series (BDRWPS), BDRWPS No. 1
(April); available at: http://www.bangladeshstudies. org/files/WPS_no1-rev2.pdf.
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (2009) Bangladesh: Indigenous people and religious minorities
still affected by displacement (Geneva, Switzerland: Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC),
Norwegian Refugee Council, July); available at: http://www.internal-displacement.org/8025708F004BE3B1/
- International Labour Office (2009) The ILO Convention on Indigenous and Tribal Populations, 1957 (No.
107) and the laws of Bangladesh: a comparative review (Geneva, Switzerland: International Labour Office
- Islam, Kabirul (2010) Indigenous People of Bangladesh (Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Viewbook B.V.;
Photostory 2010); available at: http://www.viewbookphotostory.com/2009/09/indigenous-people-of-
- Jamil, Ishtiaq and Pranab Kumar Panday (2008) “The Elusive Peace Accord in the Chittagong Hill Tracts of
Bangladesh and the Plight of the Indigenous People”, Commonwealth and Comparative Politics, Vol. 46,
No. 4, pp. 464-489.
- Kabir, Mohammed Mahbubul (2009) "Let's go back to go forward" : history and practice of schooling in the
indigenous communities in Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh (Tromsø, Norway: University of Tromsø,
Master's thesis in indigenous studies).
- Manchanda, Rita (ed.) (2010) States in Conflict with Their Minorities -- Challenges to Minority Rights in
South Asia (New Delhi, India and Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications).
- Minority Rights Group International (2008) World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples -
Bangladesh: Adivasis (London, United Kingdom: Minority Rights Group International); available at: http:
- Mohsin, Amena (2010) “Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh: Justice denied”, in: Rita Manchanda (ed.)
States in Conflict with Their Minorities -- Challenges to Minority Rights in South Asia (New Delhi and
Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications), Chapter 5.
- Oxfam GB (2008) “Finding a Voice for the Voiceless: Indigenous people gain recognition in Bangladesh”,
in: Oxfam GB (ed.) Speaking Out: How the voices of poor people are shaping the future (London, UK:
- Rahman, M. Ashiqur (2007) “Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord in Bangladesh: Reconciling the Issues of
Human Rights, Indigenous Rights and Environmental Governance”, in: M. Faizul Islam and Syed Saad
Andaleeb (eds.) Development Issues of Bangladesh-III: Human Development and Quality of Life (Dhaka,
Bangladesh: University Press Ltd.), pp. 355-378.
- Sarker, Profulla and Gareth Davey (2009) “Exclusion of indigenous children from primary education in the
Rajshahi Division of northwestern Bangladesh”, International Journal of Inclusive Education, Vol. 13, No. 1
(February), pp. 1-11.
- Singh, Deepak K. (2010) Stateless in South Asia --The Chakmas between Bangladesh and India (New
Delhi, India and Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications).
- Taneja, Preti (ed.) and Felix Corley, Jared Ferrie, David Fickling and Farah Mihlar (section authors)
(2010) State of the World’s Minorities and Indigenous Peoples 2010 - Events of 2009 ( London, United
Kingdom: Minority Rights Group International (July)), especially pp. 114-116.
- World Bank (2008) Bangladesh - indigenous/tribal population and access to secondary schools (draft),
Washington, DC, USA: World Bank, Report No. IPP280 (Indigenous Peoples Plan, April).
- World Bank (2011) Bangladesh - Integrated Agricultural Development Project : indigenous peoples
planning framework (Washington, DC, USA: World Bank, Indigenous Peoples Plan, IPP509; May 1).